Dental Implants Long Island
Long Island sedation dentists
In a lot of ways, the dental chair is the sum of all fears – pain, needles, loud noises, doctors, confined spaces. Even though you know a beautiful smile is around the corner, the idea of drilling and filling coupled with the sounds and smells of dental work can produce a significant amount of anxiety for even the bravest patient. Sedation dentistry helps patients relax their minds and bodies during the process. Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry offers various types of anesthesia to make your dental procedures a more pleasant experience.
Good candidates for sedation dentistry
Sedation dentistry uses pharmacological agents to calm and relax a patient prior to and during dental procedures.
You may be an ideal candidate for sedation dentistry if you:
- Are very anxious and fearful of dental procedures
- Have had a traumatic experience at the dentist before
- Rarely go to the dentist due to fear of discomfort
- Experience sweaty palms and grip the arm rests during routine cleaning
- Have difficulty getting numbed
- Suffer from an easily triggered gag reflex
- Hate needles and shots
- Dislike the noises, smells and tastes associated with dental care
- Feel afraid or embarrassed about your teeth
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
- Require multiple procedures done in one sitting
Several different types of sedation are available to patients, so be sure to tell your dentist about any medical conditions you may have.
The American Dental Society of Anesthesiology says the following health issues may interact with sedation methods:
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Respiratory disease
- Sleep Apnea
These conditions do not necessarily preclude patients from receiving sedation during their procedure, but they may influence the type of sedation Dr. Elliot and Dr. Nick will select.
Procedures that use sedation dentistry
At Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry, we provide sedation for a variety of procedures including:
- Oral surgery
- Tooth extractions
- Wisdom teeth extraction
- Dental implants
- Placing dental veneers
- Deep cleaning
- Tooth bonding
- Periodontal surgery
- Root canals
People have varying degrees of tolerance and sensitivity, so do not hesitate to ask Dr. Elliott or Dr. Nick for more information about sedation to quell your fears and anxiety with regard to any sort of dental procedure.
Types of sedation used
Our Suffolk County, New York dental practice can perform the following types of sedation:
- Conscious Oral Sedation: A pill is taken by mouth, causing the patient to feel relaxed, drowsy, and comfortable –awake, but deeply sedated. The time spent in the dentist’s chair flies by and the patient does not feel the least bit concerned about what is happening. In fact, he or she will have little recollection of the entire experience.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation (Laughing Gas): A small mask is placed over the patient’s nose through which 100% oxygen will flow, followed by nitrous oxide gas, and one more round of 100% oxygen to bring the patient back to reality. This safe and light sedation reduces gag reflexes and saliva flow, while boosting an overall feeling of physical relaxation.
- IV Sedation: A thin needle is inserted into a vein by our anesthesiologist. An IV drip containing anti-anxiety medication puts the patient into a deep state of relaxation. Time will pass quickly and a profound state of relaxation accompanies overall amnesia about what has happened.
All sedation appointments include careful, continuous monitoring of blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen saturation levels.
Sedation dentistry benefits
Dental procedures with sedation feel like they last a few minutes when, in reality, some procedures last two-three hours. Instead of experiencing fear and anxiety, the patient feels happy, calm, and receptive – as if in a pleasant dream. Sedation dentistry is especially recommended for extensive rebuilding procedures that would normally require multiple visits or for a treatment that involves a lot of unpleasant tugging, drilling, or opening the mouth very wide.
Affordable dental sedation in Suffolk County, New York
The cost of sedation dentistry varies depending on type anesthesia used and your insurance coverage. Some non-intravenous sedation procedure codes may apply to your treatment – particularly if the use of sedation can reduce the number of appointments necessary to perform your dental work. IV sedation typically runs at a higher price due to the addition of a dental anesthesiologist. Our financing department will review all of these concerns prior to treatment and help make arrangements for affordable payments.
Why choose Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry?
Dr. Elliot and Dr. Nick are Doctors of Dental Surgery, Fellows of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists, and Associate Fellows of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, with NYS certification in IV and PO sedation. These highly trained professionals not only understand the technical aspects of your care, but the emotional needs of comfort and relaxation during dental procedures as well. Call (631) 744-5700 for advice by phone or to schedule a free consultation.